Oversized transport, i.e. the transport of loads that, due to their size or weight, exceed standard standards, requires special permits. In Poland and other European countries there are legal regulations regarding this type of transport, but their common denominator is Council Directive 96/53/EC, which sets certain standards regarding the dimensions and weights of vehicles. What are the rules for obtaining and using a permit for oversized transport?
Oversized transport in Poland is regulated by the Act of December 16, 2010 on public roads (Journal of Laws of 2019, item 499, as amended) and the Regulation of the Minister of Infrastructure on the technical conditions to be met by public roads and their location (Journal of Laws of 2020, item 1833, as amended). Additionally, the transport of oversized loads is subject to permits issued by appropriate authorities, such as the General Director of National Roads and Motorways or voivodes. Obligations and conditions related to oversize transport are specified in detail in the regulations and in permits issued on the basis of these regulations.
We already know what regulations underlie the procedure for issuing permits for oversized transport in Poland. And what does it look like in other countries?
- In Germany, the regulations governing oversized transport are supervised by the Bundesamt für Güterverkehr (Federal Office for Road Transport). The central legal act regulating this type of transport is the German Road Traffic Act, known as "Straßenverkehrsgesetz." Additionally, there are also implementing regulations that precisely define dimensions, weights, routes and procedures for permits for the transport of oversized loads. Operators must apply for appropriate permits and comply with strict safety standards.
- In France, oversized transport is supervised by the Direction régionale de l'environnement, de l'aménagement et du logement (Regional Directorate for the Environment, Planning and Housing). The French regulations governing this type of transport are found in the "Code de la Route" (Highway Code). These regulations specify precise standards regarding dimensions, weights and procedures related to the transport of oversized loads, and require operators to obtain appropriate permits.
- In the UK, the regulations governing oversized transport are administered by different agencies depending on the region. For example, in England, Transport for London and Highways England oversee this type of transport. Requirements and procedures for obtaining permits for the transportation of oversized cargo may vary depending on the area. Operators must comply with local regulations and regulatory agency requirements.
Obligations of the oversized transport permit holder
- The permit holder must provide accurate documentation related to the transport, including route, cargo and vehicle information. Notification of such transport must be submitted well in advance.
- He must also strictly comply with the conditions of the permit, including the specified route, speed limits and hours during which the transport may take place
- One of the most important duties is to ensure that transport is safe and does not pose a threat to other road users.